Welcome to the Poole Wheelers Road Race page, I hope to try and provide some information or provide assistance to any one that is interested in road racing. We have several members who actively compete in road races throughout the season and would be able to offer assistance to newbies to road racing. Please contact me if I can help in any way – Mark.
If you are new to this, we have a page dedicated to Getting Into Road Racing!
Racing with Poole Wheelers
We have set up a Poole Wheelers Road Race WhatsApp page so you can stay in contact with fellow roadies; find out if someone is going to the same race, need a lift or have a question. If you email me (Mark) your number I’ll add you to the contact list. This is open to anyone.
Summary of 2018
We’ve had some good results over the year, much improved over 2017 so things are looking good for 2019! Congratulations to Nick Barks who earn this 3rd cat licence and Mark Valentine who became a 2nd cat. A few high lights of the year from the senior road race team:
Tour Ta Malta 2017: Elite Race
- Stage 1 (TT) Tim 2nd, Kev 20th
- Stage 2 (Hilly stage) Tim 24th, Kev 27th
- Stage 3 (Crit) Tim 37th, Kev 44th
- Stage 4 Cancelled
- Overall: Tim 18th, Kev 28th
- Stage 1 (TT) Mark 3rd
- Stage 2 (hilly stage) Mark 5th
- Stage 3 (Crit) Mark 12th
- Stage 4 Cancelled
- Overall Mark 5th
Giro Del Mon Support Race (2-Day)
- Stage 1 (Road) Manu 14th, Kev 26th
- Stage 2 (ITT) Manu 4th, Kev 6th
- Stage 3 (Kermesse) Manu 3rd, Kev 23rd
- Overall Manu 2nd, Kev 10th
L’etape de la Defonce 2-day Stage Race
- Stage 1 (TTT) Mark, Kev, Tim, Manu 2nd
- Stage 2 (Road) Manu 20th, Tim 26th, Kev 31st, Mark 61st
- Stage 3 (Road) Tim 18th, Kev 20th, Mark 56th, Manu DNF (mechanical)
- Overall Tim 10th, Kev 14th, Mark 58th. Unlucky Manu had mechanical on last day, was very high overall until then!
- 7th Primavera Road Race(25/02/18)
- 3rd EUCC Primal Europe Westpoint Race (17/03/18)
- 9th Portsmouth Even Circuit Race 3rds (27/06/18)
- Rowe and King Stage race (25/02/18) stage 2 1st, overall 8th
- 1st Portsmouth Even Circuit Race 3 cat (04/07/18)
- 10th Odd Downs Winter series 4ths race (27/01/18)
- 3rd Odd Downs Winter series 4ths race (10/02/18)
- 1st Henstridge Crit 4ths race (23/04/18)
Mark Valentine was crowned Club Road Race Champion at the Presentation Evening.
We are looking to expand our road race team next year if you are looking to get involved please contact me (email@example.com) and I’ll help you no matter what your level is.
Looking forward to 2019!
The Moreton Race Series is a weekly crit race, running around a 2.5 mile lap, on the roads of Moreton every Thursday evening in the summer. Riders are set off in ability related groups, so everyone has a chance of winning! It’s a good place to start to riders new to road racing or good training workout, and is part of the Dorset Cycle Racing League.
Other race series and events
If you fancy trying British Cycling Road/Circuit racing a good place to start would we the Portsmouth Evening Circuits run every Wednesday through out the summer at Mountbatten. Here you find at least one of us racing every week.
Stage Races we are looking to enter:
- Tour Ta Malta 2 Day April 2019
- Rockingham Wheelers 2 Day May 2019
- Giro Del Mon 2 Day May 2019
- Bournemouth Jubilee 2 Day 2019
- L’etape de la Defonce 2-day Stage Race June 2019
- Tour of Sussex September 2019
- + other stages races here and abroad
Often in the British cycling events tactics plays a big part especially if you have team mates within the same race, as we will often try to work together. We will always try to have a chat before to see who’s feeling good or not.
Throughout the year many of us will race in the same events and will make contact before hand about arranging lifts and entry. Some events will require a team to enter and we will ask around or via our Facebook page who fancies entering. Entry will be normally done as a team; accommodation, transport is arranged as a group.
For more information about road racing, contact:
Road Secretary: Mark Valentine
Men’s Captain: Les Pick