Welcome to the Poole Wheelers Road Race page, I hope to try and provide some information or provide assistance to any one that is interested in road racing. We have several members who actively compete in road races throughout the season and would be able to offer assistance to newbies to road racing. Please contact me if I can help in any way – Mark.
If you are new to this, we have a page dedicated to Getting Into Road Racing!
Racing with Poole Wheelers
We have set up a Poole Wheelers Road Race WhatsApp page so you can stay in contact with fellow roadies; find out if someone is going to the same race, need a lift or have a question. If you email me (Mark) your number I’ll add you to the contact list. This is open to anyone.
Summary of 2017
We’ve had some good results over the year. Congratulations to Tim Flynn, Sam Brooke and Kevin Egan who all earning their 3rd Cat licence. A few high lights of the year from the senior road race team:
- 1st Henstridge Circuit Race (24/04/17)
- 5th Henstridge Circuit Race (09/05/17)
- 3rd Odds Down Winter series (25/02/17)
- 5th Portsmouth East Circuit Race (15/04/17)
- 5th Weymouth Crit Race Series #1 (02/05/17)
- 13th Overall L’etape de la Defonce 2-day Stage Race (17/06/17)
- 2nd Somerset Road Club Spring Circuit Race (01/04/17)
- 3rd Omega Portsmouth Circuit #2 3 Cat(05/08/17)
- 3rd Portsmouth Even Circuit Race E123 (09/08/17)
- 5th Pimperne Road Race (01/10/17)
- 5th Portsmouth Even Circuit Race 3 cat (09/08/17)
The juniors have had an even better season than us seniors, but there are too many to mention; Lucy Gladd, Thomas Day, Jamie Whitcher and Charlie Abel all earning National points.
Tim Flynn will be crowned Club Road Race Champion at the Presentation Evening.
We are looking to expand our road race team next year if you are looking to get involved please contact me (firstname.lastname@example.org) and I’ll help you no matter what your level is.
Looking forward to 2018!
The Moreton Race Series is a weekly crit race, running around a 2.5 mile lap, on the roads of Moreton every Thursday evening in the summer. Riders are set off in ability related groups, so everyone has a chance of winning! It’s a good place to start to riders new to road racing or good training workout, and is part of the Dorset Cycle Racing League.
Other race series and events
If you fancy trying British Cycling Road/Circuit racing a good place to start would we the Portsmouth Evening Circuits run every Wednesday through out the summer at Mountbatten. Here you find at least one of us racing every week.
Stage Races we are looking to enter:
Tour Ta Malta March 2018
- Rockingham Wheelers 2 Day May 2018
- L’etape de la Defonce 2-day Stage Race (Junior and senior team) June 2018
- Tour of Sussex September 2018
- + other stages races here and abroad
Often in the British cycling events tactics plays a big part especially if you have team mates within the same race, as we will often try to work together. We will always try to have a chat before to see who’s feeling good or not.
Throughout the year many of us will race in the same events and will make contact before hand about arranging lifts and entry. Some events will require a team to enter and we will ask around or via our Facebook page who fancies entering. Entry will be normally done as a team; accommodation, transport is arranged as a group.
For more information about road racing, contact:
Road Secretary: Mark Valentine
Men’s Captain: Les Pick