As per previous post no club rides until further notice.
If you choose to go out on your own please adhere to current government advise and guidelines.
In view of the current ongoing situation with the covid-19 virus outbreak we feel it is the correct and appropriate course of action to follow government advice and guidelines.
Therefore from immediate effect we are postponing all Poole Wheelers’ group activities (this includes club rides, training rides, roller sessions and time trials) until further notice.
This is for everyone’s own health and safety and not for any other reason.
If you do choose to go out and ride your bike please adhere to up to date government advice and guidelines.
Ian Dryden – Chairman
Graham Hurst – President
Fantastic news: Poole Wheelers has won Cycling Weekly’s Club of the Year 2019!
Our massive increase in female members, racing success and use of social media to boost membership are among the reasos the judging panel selected us as winners of this prestigious award. You can read a more detailed summary of the nomination that was submitted here.
Graham Hurst (left) and Craig Weston (right) were the committee members selected to attend the awards ceremony in London on 28th November, and as you can see they both scrubbed up well for this black tie event!
A big thanks to all our members who make the club what it is.
Here’s to another amazing year of cycling ahead.
Regrettably, due to heavy rain and weather warnings forecast all evening, the decision has been made to cancel the club ride again this week. Hopefully we’ll be back next week!
Earlier this year, Cycling Weekly put out a call for nominations for ‘Club of the Year‘ as part of their 2019 awards. We made an entry and are proud to announce that Poole Wheelers is one of three clubs to be shortlisted for the award!
The nomintation showcased a whole host of things that make our club great, with a few highlghts being:
- Massive growth in membership in the last year
- Breaking the 100 mark on female members (a third of the club!)
- Competetive success across the board, inluding:
- Luke & Tim riding in the BBAR
- Hosting our first Sprint Omnium
- Gail being 3rd woman in the Transcontinental Race
- Regularly winning the team prize at time trial events
- Upping our game with charity fundraising (over £3000 rasied for AboutFace this year so far)
- Ever-increasing options for club rides, led by the members for the members
- Growing engagement and innovation on our social media, including fun Strava Segment Challenges and amazing new promotional videos by Pete Watkins
- Remaining as true as ever to our reputation as “the friendly club”
The winning club will be selected by a judging panel and announced at the Awards Ceremony in London on 28th November. Graham Hurst and Craig Weston will be representing the club, taking the two complimentary spaces offered by Cycling Weekly. There is also a limited number of extra tickets available at £300 each. Please get in touch by Friday 25th October if you’re interested in buying one.
Well done to each and every one of you for being part of such an amazing club; this is a wonderful achievement whatever the result on the night!
As always, happy cycling