Ok, so winter is not really coming, but the racing season is slowly drawing to a close and the evenings are getting darker. September sees the start of our ‘winter’ season with regular club rides replacing the Wednesday time trials, track sessions switching from the Bournemouth Cycling Centre outdoor track to Calshot’s indoor track. We also have the hillclimb inter-club league to look forward to!
During the winter season (approx. September – March) we organise regular:
- Road training ride on Wednesday evenings, multiple groups according to ability starting from Poole Park Cricket Pavilion [more details below]
- Club roller / turbo session every Thursday evening, at Winton School and for all abilities [details to be confirmed]
- Training ride every Saturday morning (road cycling, approx 17mph for 20-25 miles) [these continue as normal, start in Wimbourne square]
- Track sessions on Saturday afternoon first weekend every month, at Calshot indoor velodrome [more details below]
- Training ride every Sunday morning (road cycling, approx 20+mph for 75-85 miles, experienced riders) [these continue as normal]
- Social club ride every Sunday morning (road cycling, for riders of all abilities) [these continue as normal]
If you are not yet a member of Poole Wheelers, this is a good time to check out our membership options too…
Road training ride on Wednesday evenings
We will be starting the Wednesday evening rides from Poole Park at 19:00 (7pm) at the Cricket Pavilion. Rides are typically between 1-1.5 hours. First session starts 6th September, with the last one 28th March. Everyone welcome!
This is a social ride to learn group riding etiquette and to gain winter base fitness.
These are very popular rides, so we expect everyone to adhere to some basic guidelines:
- Ride in sensible way.
- Ride to highway code rules.
- Form groups no bigger than 12 please, and each group has a ‘leader’ for the night.
- Wear bright clothing. Good working lights needed at all times mudguards are appreciated by club members!
- Follow group riding etiquette: 2 lines only at any one time, overtaking (right lane through and off) 2 lines at any time, even when going up hill
- Behave in a sensible, courteous and appropriate manner to other riders and road users. Foul and abusive language is not acceptable – to other riders or other road users!
- Pay £1 at start to ride – this contributes towards club indemnity insurance and allows you a free coffee/tea when club room is open.
- Please remember: this is not a race!
Poole Wheelers reserves the right to ask you not to ride with us if you do not agree/adhere to these ‘guidelines’.
Everyone taking part in these rides should sign the Wednesday club ride form once (these will be available each evening too), and also remember to sign in and out every week you take part.
Each group typically follows the below route, though some groups may decide to adjust this on the day depending on ability.
Indoor track sessions every month
During the winter season we organise track sessions typically on Saturday afternoon first weekend every month, at Calshot indoor velodrome. Dates are in our events calendar and listed below, full details will be published by Graham Hurst in advance of each session on this website.
- Sat 23rd September 16.00 – 19.00
- Sat 4th November 13.30 – 16.30
- Sat 2nd December 13.30 – 16.30
- Sat 6th January 13.30 – 16.30
- Sat 3rd February 12.30 – 15.30
- Sat 3rd March 17.00 – 20.00
Hillclimb inter-club league
Don’t forget we have not finished racing yet! Hillclimbs are a peculiar form of racing where you sprint up a hill. Yes, that literally is it. They are also incredibly good fun, and are organised in a small inter-club league.
More details will be announced in the week before each event, so keep an eye on our website and Facebook group.
||Mud Sweat & Gears Hillclimb
||Chalky Rd Broadmayne
||CC Weymouth hillclimb
||Poole Wheelers Creech HC
||BJW Hillclimb Bulbarrow
* Note: this hillclimb was originally scheduled for 10:00, though start has been changed due to shooting on the ranges.
Weekend social rides
Our normal weekend social rides continues through the winter season. Keep an eye on the Poole Wheelers Facebook page for weekly updates about where each ride is heading.
Saturday morning ride meets at Wimborne Square at 7:30am, 90 minute, mixed pace with overall average of around 16mph (organised by Craig Weston)
Intermediate/Fast: 3 –4 hours, varied routes, only for experience riders as terrain and average speed combined will make these sessions a tough ride. Average speed 17- 21mph depending on course. (Craig)
Casual: 2 -3 hours, varied routes, average speed 16 -17mph. (Richard)
All rides include a coffee stop 🙂