No matter who you speak to on the club run, the overriding word that comes through is ‘friendly’. (Cycling Weekly, 22nd March 2018)
Poole Wheelers is one of the most successful and friendly local cycling clubs, located in Dorset on the south coast of England. We have fantastic countryside with a blend of hills and open areas which are perfect for cycling. Find out more about us, join one of our regular events below or connect with us via our Facebook group.
Summer Timetable (April – August):
- Track sessions at Bournemouth Cycle Centre (Slades Park) as well the last Saturday every month (starts with youth riders followed by adults)
- Ladies Group ride from Poole Park Cricket Pavilion – ideal opportunity to enjoy a ride with other women, get fitter and increase your confidence with riding in a group starting
- Time trials in various locations (check the calendar as this can change – also on some Sunday or Monday mornings)
- Social club ride from Upton, road cycling, approx 17mph for 20-25 miles
- Training ride from Wimborne, road cycling, varying ride speeds depending on attendees, faster group approx 17-20mph for 20-25 miles, moderate pace to suit individuals.
- Training ride from Wimborne, road cycling, approx 20+mph for 75-85 miles, experienced riders
- Training ride from from Fleetsbridge roundabout, road cycling, approx 17-19mph for 45 miles
- Social club ride from from Fleetsbridge roundabout, road cycling, approx 15mph for 30-35 miles, for riders of all abilities.
Winter Timetable (September – March):
- Ladies Group Ride on Monday evenings from Poole Park Cricket Pavilion – ideal opportunity to enjoy a social ride with other women, get fitter and increase your confidence with riding in a group
- Road training ride on Wednesday evenings, multiple groups according to ability starting from Poole Park Cricket Pavilion
- Club roller / turbo session every Thursday evening, at Winton School and for all abilities
- Training ride every Saturday morning (road cycling, approx 17mph for 20-25 miles)
- Track sessions on Saturday afternoon first weekend every month, at Calshot indoor velodrome
- Training ride every Sunday morning (road cycling, approx 20+mph for 75-85 miles, experienced riders)
- Social club ride every Sunday morning (road cycling, approx 15mph for 30-35 miles, for riders of all abilities)
Please check our events calendar for details about all scheduled Poole Wheelers events and rides.
Always check with the organiser or on our Facebook group first to confirm details and that the ride is going ahead. For the training rides, contact Craig Weston, for the turbo / roller or track sessions, contact Graham Hurst.
We are a social club, so our rides often end up in a local coffee shop.
Joining Poole Wheelers
We are always welcoming new members to Poole Wheelers. If you are interested in joining our fantastic club you can make any initial enquiries by emailing our club secretary Rachel Hadley.
If you have never been a British cycling member in the past and feel that you may become a member in the near future, you will get a BC discount if you join our club first and then become a member of British Cycling. This is because we are a Go-Ride club. If you would like more information on this please email our club secretary Rachel Hadley.
You can purchase or renew Poole Wheelers annual membership online via our club page on the British Cycling website.
If you would like to pay using a different method, please contact our membership secretary: Graham Hurst. Please note that the club reserves the right to decline or revoke membership, for example if a rider contravenes our codes of conduct.
Ryan Weston has put together a guide to assist new riders who want to ride with the club.
- ***RACE CANCELLED!!!*** ***EVENING 10 LEAGUE TT 12TH JUNE 2019*** ***P412/10 Mile TT***
12 June, 2019
- Sign up: Evening 10 League TT race on The Bulbury P412/10 Mile TT course Wednesday 12th June 2019
10 June, 2019
- Track session 10th June CANCELLED
10 June, 2019
- Sign up: Rothwell League Club TT on Gallows Hill course 5th June 2019
3 June, 2019
- Sign up: Rothwell League Club TT on Ski Slope course Sunday 2nd June 2019 ***MARSHALS NEEDED***
30 May, 2019
- Interclub TT competition on Gallows Hill course PW vs BJW Round 2 Wednesday 29th May 2019
27 May, 2019
- Sign up: Club 25 mile Time Trial on Sunday 19th May 2019 at 07:30 ***Marshals Needed***
15 May, 2019
- Sign up: club time trial on Bulbury course Wednesday 15/05/2019
13 May, 2019
- ***PW Club time trial on Bulbury course 08/05/2019 CANCELLED!***
8 May, 2019
- Sign up: club time trial on Bulbury course Wednesday 08/05/2019
6 May, 2019